CHECK OUT OUR NEWEST RESOURCE!
Handout: 2016 Questions to Ask Candidates
NAMI WISCONSIN’S OTHER ADVOCACY RESOURCES:
Overview of Health Insurance
Overview of Health Care Reform
Overview of Mental Health Financing (how people pay for mental health care)
Overview of Key Legislation (2013-2015)
Overview of BadgerCare Expansion
Election resource: November Election/Voting Overview
Election resource: Candidate Question Guide
Overview of Wisconsin’s Legislative Process
SIGN UP FOR ACTION ALERTS!
When your voice is needed on an important issue, we will email an Action Alert. Action Alerts are sent no more than once a month and often include a clear template for the action and suggested talking points.
How to sign up: Email Crystal with “action alert sign-up” in the subject line. Please include your full name and home (voting) address in the body of the email. If you are not a frequent email user, we are happy to mail printed alerts. Just call our office at 608-268-6000 to provide your name and address.
Scroll down to see the most recent Action Alert!
CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS
- Find their contact info here: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/
TIPS FOR WRITING TO ELECTED OFFICIALS:
- Introduce yourself and your connection to mental health
- Be brief and respectful in your message!
- Perfection is not necessary. If you feel overwhelmed by crafting a message, keep it short and sweet. Writing a quick note is better than nothing.
- If you feel overwhelmed writing to your legislators about multiple issues, write to them a couple of separate times.
- Include your home address so they can verify that you are constituent.
- Use your legislators’ official title, e.g. “Representative” or “Senator”
- Thank them for their time and attention!
If you need clarification on the issues or need help drafting a letter/email or making a phone call please reach out to your local NAMI affiliate or NAMI Wisconsin: 608-268-6000 / email@example.com.
Last updated: March 2016